Thursday, March 8, 2007

March 8

We could use a special amount of prayer today as this one has been a rough one on Barbara. The months in the hospital continue to take a toll on her emotionally, and she is very easily upset or depressed. Any number of situations can send her in a downward spiral, and it seems that with each passing day, she becomes more and more vulnerable to discouragement.

Even under the best healthcare situations, things can be less than perfect. There are still some situations that if I don't stay on top of them, they don't get done. Many of you encourage me to get rest or spend more time away, and I have done so. But it is also true that every moment I am away is another moment that something can go wrong or unattended to, and these things all serve to frustrate her already tender emotional state.

The impending days in the nursing home have her terribly upset, despite the fact that I thought she had resigned herself to the idea. I rue the idea of sending her to one of these types of facilities. But I am unable to care for her at the level of attention she still requires.

Please pray diligently for Barbara's emotional health today. It is SO important to her recovery. If you're in the area, and get a chance to stop by, today or tomorrow would be a really good time to do so. It would help her a lot, I'm sure.

One more note. I recognize that every time I open my big fat mouth (or in this case, open my big fat, uh, er, blog...), I take the chance of saying something that someone will misread. I have used this forum not only as a means to keep you posted, but as a way to blow off some of my steam. In doing so, I may have created a false impression about what is going on with insurance. Specifically, in using the word "insurance", I am meaning medicare + our secondary insurance. And while we are running out of days that medicare will pay, I have been alerted that there might be some loopholes that I should pursue, and I am doing so. Some things have gotten back to me that were taken WAY YONDER out of proportion. Let me assure you that the conference, and our insurance team, has been absolutely wonderful to work with, and extremely helpful. They have not complained to me about anything said, but I think I should alert you to these truths before things get really crazy. Also, I realize that the information gets passed around because you really do care for us, and that means the world to me. Thank you for your concern. Please just know that my frustrations with the "system" have nothing to do with my dear friends in the conference. If you have any questions, I would be happy to let you step up to the mic now!

Blessings on you all! Thanks so much for your love and prayers!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg--Although I've spent a lot of time in hospitals, I know your situation is very different. Hospitals are not a place where one wants to spend a lot of time, but often they are necessary. I think you have done a fantastic job with Barbara in addition to your pastoral and home duties.

Our Father, Tonight we pray for Greg and Barbara. Give them your special peace as they persevere day by day in a spartan hospital room. Let them feel your love and your presence. Give Barbara an upbeat feeling and your joy. Take away any feelings of sadness, uncertainty, or depression. Provide Greg with additional strength, energy, and wisdom as he does his daily chores and commitments. In Christ's name we pray, Amen.--Gene and Marcia