Tuesday, January 2, 2007

January 2, in the year of our Lord 2007

Well, a belated Happy New Year, one and all.

We continue to stitch together good days. Since being moved from intensive care to, uh, non-intensive (?) care, we have seen ongoing physical improvement. Today brings more good news in that they are turning the respirator assist down even lower, and she is taking many breaths on her own. She has complained of difficulty in breathing, but I'm betting its mostly anxiety related. She is moving ever closer to being off the vent.

Her movements are still small but significant to me. She doesn't see the improvement, but then she hasn't been witness to all that we have thanks to her sedation for weeks. Anxiety is a huge problem. When she tries to communicate and we can't understand her, she becomes very agitated. The good news is they've starting working with her on a speaking valve for the trache that will allow her to talk in breathy words. They've also began giving her a little goodie juice to help her relax and sleep. I am deeply grateful for that considering her frazzled state at times! I'm about to the end of my rope... and that's not a pleasant place to be. Just ask Saddam! (A little dark humor for those whose sensitivities can handle it!) *remove tongue from cheek*

All in all, her health is improving daily. Just pray that God will heal her RAPIDLY (yes, I've gotten all the emails about patience... I can tell you it is a highly over-esteemed virtue!). Perhaps that's why we have such difficulty ministering to others... we're patient. God help us to become impatient to see lives transformed by the remarkable love of Christ.

Please also pray that Barbara's anxiety will subside,

Pray that MY anxiety will subside,

Pray that God will use us to touch lives for him while here.

Impatiently yours...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, now that I have removed my tongue from my cheek......
I just wanted to share how much God continues to blow me away with His miraculous answers to prayer!!!! You preached on praying BIG and God answered Big. I am totally amazed by what God has done and continues to do. Just a little over 2 weeks ago I didn't know if I would ever be able to talk to my dear friend Barb again. And here I have been up there a few times and talking to her and even got a snicker! She is my captive audience! Pray much more for her patience! LOL!
I will continue to pray daily (more than once) for all of you. I will not tell you to BE patient. I will pray for day to day, moment by moment strength. We are here for you and love you all and are blessed to have you as ours.
Family in Christ, Gail

Anonymous said...

Pastor Greg, I now realize one perhaps two attributes that we share, one is our wierd sense of humor, the other is our favorite word "patience" as you know, it's not one of my many virtures :).

Prayers continuiously go up from my heart for Barb and you, as well as Jackie & the rest of the family. Today my focus has been peace of mind for Barb and that God would bring someone to her that will attend to her personal needs that you mentioned on Sunday morning. He is an awesome God and will answer our prayers as He has faithfully done in the past. Praise His Name.

I pray that you will get rest both physically & mentally this week.

With prayers & love,

Patti

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg--We are grateful for Barbara's continuing progress, and we are pleased to know that her health is improving daily. We pray for God's rapid healing of Barbara and that He will replace both of your anxieties with His peace. We ask that God will help you to touch lives in the hospital and that He will strenghten both of you daily. In His name we pray, Amen.--Gene and Marcia

Anonymous said...

I keep hearing you sing..."you're all I think about from the time I get up 'til the lights go out...you seem to be someone I can't do without...you're all I think about!

Keep loving that wonderful wife of yours in little ways and big ways everyday.

We're praying up here in Spring Arbor!

Steve