Monday, January 29, 2007

January 29

Hello, this is Stephanie, Greg's sister. I first need to appologize to Greg and all who anxiously await a new posting for my delay in getting this written. I had the wonderful pleasure of spending most of the day Friday with Barb (hopefully allowing Greg to do whatever he needed to do, or to just sit on the couch and blank out for a while...as long as he had a break!!). I was thrilled to hear Barb's voice over the phone a few days before I was there. It was even more amazing to see her in person. It's hard and sometimes discouraging for her on a daily basis to track her own progress, but for me, after a month...wow!! Just to hear her speak words, have an ongoing conversation (that's what we did...talk and enjoy each other's company all day), and see the movement she has gained in her arms and legs was so encouraging to me. Hopefully I was able to encourage her as I listed all her progress I could see after a months absence from her. She is a very determined woman, and is working so hard to learn again the simple tasks of maneuvering a spoon to feed herself, hold a phone to her own ear, brush her teeth, and even chew food. I was reminded of God's handiwork in creating us, as we take for granted the many movements we make even in the matter of an hour of any given day. Even at night, to be able to re-position yourself when your uncomfortable, for most of us, is something that just comes automatically.

The caregivers that came in to assist throughout the day were so precious, and often brought tears to my eyes as they cheered her on through physical therapy, listened to her intently and did their best to meet the needs that she is unable to take care of by herself right now.

Things that come to my mind that are prompts for prayer for this situation:

-Pray for patience, understanding, and intuition for those caregivers, including Greg, as they assist Barb in her daily needs. Also, praise for them, that they are there doing their jobs well on a daily basis.

-Thanks that, as Greg previously stated, the surgical procedure on Barbs head went well and is over, as Barb was dreading getting this done.

-for Barb to continue persisting in such a determined way to build those muscles back, so that she can do tasks for herself.

-for miraculous repair of her joints, especially in her hands.

- This is a biggie to me: pray that as Carrie at Select, where Barb is, and Maria at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago consult together, that both will advocate for the best continued care for Barb. Take a look at their site if you have a chance : www.ric.org . To me, it looks like the place for Barb to be next, but it's not my call, and there are a lot of things that need to fall into place just so. If this doesn't work out, I am also praying that God will send her to the place where she continues to be in the care of people with joyful spirits, gentle hands, and caring hearts.

Thanks so much. Our love goes out to all of you who are devoted to checking this site and kneel before Our Maker on behalf of Barbara, Greg and Jackie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see you are considering RIC for rehabilitation. In my experience, someone like Barbara might be better served at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital. May I recommend that you look into it? I believe the care you are looking for is exactly the kind of care my father is currently receiving at Marianjoy. www.marianjoy.org

Greg said...

Would the poster who left the comment regarding Marionjoy drop me an email or give me a call. I have some questions. I hadn't heard of this place, and I'm interested in exploring all possibilities. Thanks!! Greg