Wednesday, January 31, 2007

January 31

Judging from notes many of you have sent to me, you will be glad to know that I am sort of taking a day off today.

Barbara has been blessed to be assigned to some student nurses who give her extra attention. They will be coming in weekly. This will allow me to stay at home and work, which I suppose isn't really a day off, but it's helpful nonetheless. I really want to be with her (actually, I want her home!), but the daily grind of providing health care along with working on my laptop computer at the hospital has been quite stressing. So today I am at home and hope to finish the sermon for Sunday, get some laundry done, prepare the Bible study work for tonight, and maybe even sit around and play my guitar for a few moments. Woo-hoo.

I will share with you a blessing and a concern. First the blessing. Yesterday, while laying on her side and receiving a breathing treatment, I saw Barbara move her hand to her face to adjust the mask that was providing the albuterol. I was awe-struck; and yes, my mouth even fell open! Wow! I 'm not sure that she even realized she could do that. It may not seem like much to you, but take my word, this is a BIG improvement. The occupational therapists will soon begin to work with her on lifting a spoon to her mouth. In fact, she said that they made her wipe off a tray yesterday. It was exhausting for her, but a wonderful step towards regaining mobility.

The concern is the healing of the debridement of the pressure wound on the back of her head. I have no reason to think it isn't on its way to healing. And I feel certain that you don't want to know why this bothers me so much. Suffice it to say that this is a new and horrible experience for me, and I am having a difficult time processing it.

So, when in prayer for us, give thanks for Barbara's continuing and remarkable improvements,

Give thanks that I am now getting some time away to get work done,

And pray for the complete and total healing of the pressure wound area on the back of Barbara's head.

Once again, thanks for all your words of encouragement!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg--We're pleased that you are getting some needed time off, and Barbara is getting extra attention from students nurses. It's so good to hear t that Barbara can move her hand to her face to adjust her mask. Such progress is encouraging. Our Father, Tonight we are thankful for Barbara's many improvements and for Greg getting some time off. We ask for complete healing of the pressure wound on the back of Barbara's head. If Barbara is moved to Chicago tomorrow, make her ready, and even eager, for the move, Father. Be with Greg as he continues to provide support for Barbara, and give him the strength, energy, positive outlook and any other thing he needs. In Jesus name, Amen.--Gene and Marcia