Sunday, January 14, 2007

January 14

As of Friday evening, Barbara has been relocated to Select Specialty Hospital located at St. Margaret's Hospital in Hammond. This has been a very trying and emotional weekend, and I'm a bit frazzled tonight.

Unfortunately, there is no wi-fi at her new location, so I am unable to update as easily as before.

Health-wise, Barbara continues to do better. She has been off the respirator for several days, and now receives only an oxygen flow through the trache. Her vitals seem to be good, except that she will occasionally run a very slight temperature. Her digestive system problems persist.

Here's the thing - I am very, very angry over how this move happened. I got to Methodist Hospital late on Friday due to my participation in our 24 Hours of Prayer at GFM. I was informed that a doctor who was NOT the one over-seeing Barbara's care had declared her to be ready to leave the hospital. Without saying a word to me or anyone else, they informed insurance, who in turn said she had to go.

I should back up just a bit by saying we were told it would be a week or so before Barbara moved. They assured me that she would not be dismissed to go to the next level of care until her digestive system problems had been cleared up. Further, she was to be moved to a different ward there at Methodist before the move as well.

So on Friday, we were told that she was moving, that we had no say in where she was going, and that we could no longer use the doctors who had been caring for her in any way.

I realize I'm over-protective, but after having nearly lost her several times, and knowing all that we've been through, I don't take this stuff lightly. I'm also quite displeased with several things that have happened to Barbara since arriving at the new place. The new doctors don't have a clue what is going on with her, and don't seem to care much. They don't even know how to care for her neck surgery. Mind you, some of the nurses are fine. But last night she was given a nurse that, get this, couldn't even speak much English. This was affirmed to us by other nurses.

I have assurances from the lady who oversees this hospital that she will meet with us on Monday to discuss our concerns and issues. She also told me that Dr. Rifai could get "privileges" if he was willing to come all the way over to Hammond. I hope the meeting goes well. She seemed nice enough on the phone.

I am very quickly moving from mild mannered, easy-going Greg to a person who will not be very pleasant to deal with if things don't take a turn for the better, and if I don't get some clear answers as to how this all could have happened like this. Thankfully, I have several "bulldogs" on my team as well willing to help me should I have the need to unleash them. Frankly, I find the whole idea of being confrontational rather reprehensible and contrary to the pattern I endeavor to maintain as a pastor. On the other hand, I will look out for the well being of the precious angel that God has entrusted to my care. I have been assured by several of my godly parishioners that I am on the right track. However, I would appreciate your prayers on this matter. Pray that God will give me WISDOM.

Pray that Barbara will continue on a good path.

Pray that those who care for her will love her like the nurses at Methodist seemed to love her.

I left her in the care of a woman tonight who, unknowing that I was a pastor, happened to mention her church to us almost first thing. I felt like that was an assurance from God that things would go well with this lady. She seemed quite caring, so I am very hopeful.

But please continue to pray. Just pray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg--We're sorry to hear that Barbara's being moved so suddenly has made your and Barbara's life, and her care, more difficult. I suspect your medical insurance may the the villain. We're so pleased that Barbara still is off the respirator. We pray that Barbara's digestive system will be healed and return to normal. We ask, Lord, that You give Greg wisdom, knowledge and courage when he meets with the overseer of the hospital. We pray that the meeting will result in Barbara receiving knowledgeable and skillful doctors and good nursing care. Just allow Barbara to continue on a path to good health. Give the nurses a love for Barbara so that they will want to provide her with the best of care. Be with Greg as he travels back and forth. Keep him safe, healthy, full of energy, hope and love. In Christ's name we pray, Amen.--Gene and Marcia

Anonymous said...

Greg, my prayers ongoing for you and Barb! they will never stop!
My grandma once told me that there are two times you should praise the Lord! 1. when you feel like it!
2. When you don't feel like it! lets just keep praising the Lord! always and God always honors that! about your being upset, i can understand that feeling. and you are doing the right thing. i am so thankful i made poewple mad and upset at times when my wife was sick. and to this day i am so glad i did. Hang in there Greg!!!!! and remember God is Never early, God Is never Late, but he is always ontime!!!!!! never give up! casue God never gives up! I love you both!!!!!!!!!!