Saturday, January 20, 2007

January 20 - Exclamation Marks

I sure miss having internet access at the hospital; it's a bit more difficult to focus on creating an entry at the end of a tiring day. Much has occurred since my last entry, though, and you'll want to read on for some wonderful news.

First, though, on the issue of the hospital where Barbara is staying. While there continues to be some rough places in our road, my ongoing presence there and ongoing conversations with those in charge have actually yielded some positive results. I toured a few other facilities, and looked into several others, but we have finally come to the decision that unless things just go absolutely haywire on us, we are going to stand pat for now. I still resent being told that I had no choice in where Barbara would be placed. And, I've found out I was lied to and bullied by the people who dismissed Barbara from Methodist. Further, Select Specialty Hospitals does indeed have a bad reputation in the area. Still, you have prayed that God would give us wisdom, as have we, and it seems best not to roll the dice and hope for something better at this time. Things have actually gotten better for us. She has had good nursing care. We have begun to establish good relationships with several of the nurses and aids (I work very hard at this - when someone is good, I compliment them - when they show compassion, I lavish praise on them - these things work). Also, her therapists have actually been excellent. Whenever we encounter someone who is not doing their job the way we think it should be done, we've complained, and we've gotten results. I could expound at much more length on this subject, but suffice it to say I am satisfied that they are taking steps to accommodate our needs. Plus, moving Barbara now would actually be a step backwards because we'd have to acclimate new doctors and staff, and everyone would want to start at ground zero with her just as they did in the move from Methodist to Hammond. Keep us in prayer on this matter. As you can tell, it is a tough row to hoe. Also, we're not at all pleased with her primary doctor overseeing her care, so pray that we will know how to deal with that matter next.

On to more uplifting things. This has been a remarkable week of progress, thanks to some wonderful, caring therapists. Barbara's trache was reduced in size, and she was given a speaking valve. For the first time in a long time, she can now talk to us!!!! I really can't use enough exclamation marks to convey our happiness!!!! !!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !! And making this even more exciting, today they capped off her trache to allow her to breathe totally through her nose. Most patients last about 10-15 minutes their first time doing this. Barbara, on the other hand, lasted all day and was still capped when I left and breathing 100%!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the final step towards removing the trache altogether!!!!! Yesterday she was took the "Cookie Test" (that is the actual name of the procedure) where she is x-rayed while eating items of various consistencies laced with barium (yes, including cookies). I got to sit in the viewing room and watch the screen during the process. It was a extraordinary event - quite an awesome thing to see. She passed with flying colors. This means she has been okayed to eat, and has been doing so!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her diet this weekend is all pureed food - and despite its gross yucky consistency, she has enjoyed the food. Her first meal include mushed up peas, and she was thrilled. Peas are a favorite of hers. One interesting side note. While observing the x-ray, I got my first really good look at the hardware that was placed in her neck. It was gruesome, dude! I knew she had extensive surgery - but I was still shocked at seeing it all showing up so plainly on the screen, screws and all. I think she will now become a recurring character on X-Men movies.

I hope I have communicated all this well through my tiredness. Please don't let up on the prayers - we still have bridges to cross. She desperately wants to walk again, and has been stymied just a bit by the blood clot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg--We're glad to hear that things have improved at your new facility. Your decision appears sound to me, at least for now. It's tough to find the kind of facility that has everything you want and need. We rejoice in Barbara being able to talk for the whole day and in her being able to eat. I remember when Mom had to eat pureed food when her jaws were broken. I think she liked fruits and some meats best. The pureed food is nutritious and will make Barbara stronger. Tonight we pray that your relationship with the new facility will continue to improve which will be relected in Barbara's progress. We pray that you will find a suitable primary care giver, and we ask that Barbara's digestive system continue to improve. We also pray that Barbara's therapy will cause her muscles to strengthen so that she can walk. Take away any pain, Lord, and give her confidence and peace. And be with Greg, Lord, and give him the needed strength, energy, knowledge, wisdom, love and rest to deal with his many problems. In Christ's name we pray, Amen.--Gene and Marcia