Thursday, February 22, 2007

February 22

We have settled in now at the Rehabcare unit at St. Catherine's hospital in East Chicago. RIC is not out of the picture, but we're really tired of being jerked around while Barbara needs rehab and insurance days are running out. One day they told us they would have a bed on March 1st, then it was Feb. 22. Or 24. But they couldn't commit to any of those days. It seems that patients at Northwestern University hospital get priority, as well as headline cases from around the US. You don't get to be the number one place in the country without having a big waiting list. I'm not soured on RIC so much as I am on the empty promises. If a bed does indeed become available for sure (and how will we ever know that?), we will reevaluate at that time.

I think we're pleased with our initial experience at St. Cat rehab. The staff seems to be fine, and I believe that Barbara will receive good care.

Several have questioned this decision, but the fact is that Barbara needs to begin rehab, we are running out of insurance days, and RIC won't commit to anything. While I have spoken to RIC, the idea that I could push them into accepting us is akin to the idea that I could persuade the president to absolve me from any future tax debt.

One plus that we now experience is that Barbara continues to have a private room. This is good for several reasons. She gets hot quite easily due to her meds, so a cool room is needed. Also, certain TV show spook her, and a roommate who constantly watches TV would drive her crazy. Plus, a roommate would mean the introduction of additional sources of potential infection. RIC does not offer average folks like us a private room.

Perhaps the overriding issue is that emotionally speaking, this has been a rough couple of days for Barbara. She is basically refusing to eat, and has been very depressed at being cooped up in a hospital room. Some days are good, and others aren't, but I would appreciate your prayers that she will experience a super-natural renewal of mind and spirit. I need your prayers too, because these days are very hard on me for a number of reasons.

I am really struggling to write tonight. I'm just frazzled, so I think I'm going to simply cut out here. Just keep us in your prayers - things have been progressing, and I don't want anything to mess that up.

Oh - if you can possibly visit, I assure you that your visits cheer her up and help her emotionally. Please consider popping in. If you want, you can call me on my cell first to make sure she isn't in therapy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg--We're pleased you found a suitable place for Barbara to do her rehab. Even though it's not number one, they may well have some well-trained and skilled people there. It looks as though the Lord has led you both there, so He must have a good reason for it. Our Father, We pray that you will be with Greg and Barbara at their new location, and we pray that St. Catherine's will have just what Barbara needs for her rehabilitation. Be with Barbara, Lord, and renew her mind and spirit so she will feel at ease and appreciate her new environment. Provide her with skilled therapists who have a love for their patients. Give Barbara the strenth, energy, and determination she needs to perform her therapy as instructed, and fill her heart with your love, peace, and patience. Be with Greg also, Father. Strenghten him; provide him with energy; and renew his spirit with your love and peace. We ask these things in Jesus name, Amen.--Gene and Marcia