Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve

Hi. This is Jackie again.

Just wanted to let everyone know how Mom's day was today. She had a pretty good day all in all. Her blood pressure is up to a very normal, healthy level without any blood pressure medications. Praise God! And her heart rate is fairly healthy too. She has been alert and responsive all day. It has been nice feeling like she is really there. Unfortunately, with her being unable to talk her attempts to mouth something to me are not understood. The lung doctor continues to give good reports that her lungs are healthy and looking good. However, she must grow strong enough to be able to move her arms in order to be able to come off of the ventilator. I guess her diphragm (the muscle used to breathe) is somehow connected to the muscles in the arms. Her kidneys have begun to function much better as well. The kidney doctor was very pleased tonight at how they were functioning. Things really seem to be looking up. I just pray that she doesn't turn around and have another bad day. Keep those good days coming!

I have been praying that I would be able to somehow communicate with her and to be able to be sensitive to what she wants and needs. It has been horribly frustrating watching someone you love so much just lie there, unable to communicate, and obviously suffering from so much physically and emotionally and not know exactly what you can do to help. Tonight I feel like I got a little bit of an answer to prayer for that. I asked her if I could move her arms and legs around for her. She was very pleased to oblige. It just hit me that it could help her feel better to actually move her muscles around a little bit after being so immobile for so long. She was making a concerted effort as I did this to try to start moving on her own. She succeeded in lifting her left arm about six inches or so off the side of the bed, squeezing me with her fingers, and wiggling both of her ankles intentionally. She was concentrating so hard, but it was wonderful to see that spunk in her. She was quite pleased with herself. I think it was really encouraging to her. I know it was to me. I think I shall start providing her some of my own physical therapy...free of charge of course.

While spending Christmas eve in the hospital is not a normal or even ideal way to spend the holiday, it was nonetheless wonderful to be there with her and Peter. We decided to put our trip to Tulsa on hold as many of you know, and I think that tonight alone was worth it. If Mom won't remember it, I certainly will for years to come. Well, everyone have a merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie--We're so pleased you had such a good day with your mother. We thank God that Barbara's blood pressure is normal, that she has been alert and responsive, that her lungs are healthy, and that her kidneys have begun to function much better. It's great that you helped your Mom move her arms and legs which made her want to help you. Since it appears to help her, I think I would continue it unless advised otherwise by her doctors. If you could get your mother to move her arms and hands enough to write to you, perhaps you could get a clip board with a pad of paper and write on it to communicate with each other. We did that with Mom when she was in intensive care at Wishard Hospital in Indianapolis with multiple fractures and on a ventilator (respirator?) like your mother, and it worked out pretty well. We will pray: that your mother will grow strong enough to come off the ventilator/respirator; that she will be encouraged by your efforts and will continue to help move her arms and legs; that her digestive system will function normally; and that God will Barbara the will power and strength to help you all she can. We also pray for you, your Dad, Peter, and anyone else there that you will continue to be strong and healthy and that the Holy Spirit will help you to function in a way that will help Barbara become strong and healthy.--Gene and Marcia

Audrey said...

Jackie-
I was glad to read that things are looking up and that your mom is functioning better. That's great that you can provide "physical therapy" for your mom. What a great way to care for her at this time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the updates! Your mom is very lucky to have a daughter like you :) I will continue to pray for her healing, and your entire family! Love you!! ~Lisa