Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

On behalf of all of us, what are you doing reading a blog on Christmas Day?

No... seriously... Merry Christmas. Your prayers and kind words have made this a wonderful Christmas despite the pain we share with Barbara. When your life narrows down to a daily, life or death struggle, you begin to focus on the most important things in life. But do you know what is even more important to me than Barbara's physical healing? The most important thing to me is that every one of you would know the inexpressible joy and thrill of a relationship with Jesus. Not just knowing Him... but allowing Him to penetrate every part of who you are. We become a blessing to countless generations to come when we allow Christ to bless us through a life lived in service to Him. This is the only place where I've discovered true freedom of life, freedom of thought, and freedom of expression. It's the only place where I've found true acceptance. It's the only place where I've found an ultimate love that gives me reason to face each day. And its the only way I've found that I can love others and learn what it means to have peace on earth. My Christmas prayer this year certainly includes Barbara. But more so, it is that you will allow Christ to be born in you today.

Barbara is having a good day. Her vitals are excellent. Her kidneys are improving. Her nose itches (!!!!). She is moving more and more. Her lung doctor even said that they might give her food tomorrow! Not a T-bone steak, mind you... but the prospect of jello and ice cream is really thrilling her.

Thank you for your prayers that Barbara would not be so down. While she is certainly quite sad at times, she is doing so much better today.

Yesterday, in our morning worship, I stepped out on a limb and did something I never imagined I would do in church before. It was something that God inspired me to do while at prayer, but I must admit I questioned it all week long. In our Sunday morning service, we sang popular secular Christmas songs, then connected them with a hymn that shows how we can celebrate Christ and His Christmas realities. The kids helped me with the first set... Rudolph combined with Jesus Loves Me (to show that we are all special to God), and You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch (!) combined with How Great Is Our God (satan may be evil, and there may not be enough bad stuff to say about him, but our God is great beyond measure, and there are not enough good words for Him). Later in the service we sang Blue Christmas/It Is Well With My Soul, and White Christmas/Whiter Than Snow. Much to my surprise, the Holy Spirit moved in such a way that 3 people came to the altar to pray during the secular songs! Talk about affirmation that we had been faithful to do what God wanted! It was a beautiful, sacred happening.

I am including a Christmastime picture from several years ago. This is Jackie and her cousin Paul getting into the Holly Jolly Christmas spirit. May this be a year of profound blessings to you. Remember - for those of you with hope in Christ - this is your chance to show others His love and to encourage the children around you. Peace on earth!

No comments: