Tuesday, December 26, 2006

December 26

Leaps and bounds. That's how we've described the progress Barbara has made over these last few days. To some, it may seem that she's only taking baby steps. After all we've been through, her progress amazes us.

I am still trying to be guarded against being overly optimistic since there is still a LONG way to go. However, I've decided to indulge in some Christmastime cheer at how well Barbara has been doing. If you've tracked our progress with these updates over time, you'll recognize that I have experienced a gamut of emotions along the way. I have become more at peace over time with the realization that there are any number of outcomes to Barbara's situation. If even still, the Lord decides to take her home, then it is well with my soul. If we still have a long battle to wellness her in this life, then all is well with my soul. I won't lie and tell you that I have or I will enjoy every bump and curve on this road. But even if I grieve, even if I get angry, even if I laugh, even if I cry, even if I get frustrated, even if I thrill, even if I have joy or even if I have sorrow, all is well with my soul.

Barbara's kidneys, after taking a brief nosedive, are now at almost 100%!!!!! She continues to move more and more, even though they are only small moves. She has been very alert and communicative, although still quite forgetful. Dr. Rifai told my sister that there are many things that Barbara will need to relearn with long term therapy. Infections and oxygen deprivation have caused Barbara to forget how to do some basic things (like blinking - occasionally she will forget to blink).

My good friend Michael Brown, pastor of the Merrillville Nazarene Church was just by for a visit and affirmed how helpful it has been for me to give you specific things to pray about. Truly, I have seen the hand of God at work in specific areas as you've joined me in prayer.

With that in mind, please pray that no further infections take up residence in Barbara (hospitals are a great place to get well, and to get sick - especially in intensive care where she is still relatively immobile),

Pray that the pneumonia does not return,

Pray that her movements get greater and stronger every day,

Pray for strength emotionally, and that all her brain functions become stronger every day,

Pray that her digestive system kicks back into working order.

She had one bite of apple sauce earlier today, and may have a few more bites later pending the results of a stomach CT scan taken yesterday. She has been much more upbeat emotionally - thanks your prayers that Christ would help her to deal with the struggles of immobility and the respirator situation.

Keep us all in prayer for good health. We've been trying to take good care of ourselves - rest, water, vitamins, food, etc. - still, being in the hospital every day is also a risk to our health!

Thank you again, many times over, for the wonderful ways you've blessed us! I hope that your Christmas celebration NEVER ends.

No comments: