Wednesday, December 20, 2006

December 20

Hi. This is Jackie. Dad's been keeping you all very well up to date, but I thought I would go ahead and post something anyway. Yesterday everything seemed to be looking up. Mom was as responsive as she'd been in quite a while. She was also as focused as she'd been in a while. She was able to shake her head some to yes or no questions, was able to wiggle her toes a few times on command, and able to also move her arms. This of course was good news to the doctor's report that she had a spinal cord injury and may or may not recover the use of her limbs. I feel like any small movement is a big and exciting accomplishment. I only hope it's not patronizing to her as I praise her for those small but exciting accomplishments.

It of course has been frustrating to not be able to know the thoughts going on inside of her head, but I am sure it is nothing compared to what she is feeling. She has shown to be somewhat upset at times, but overall has had a very pleasant demeanor through it all. She has been releatively wide-eyed and smiley. These signs of life are encouraging.

Today has been a bit discouraging with her heart rate as high as it is and her lowered level of responsiveness. The times I have walked into her room to talk to her, she has not moved her eyes from the television. I am hoping it is just her exhaustion from her heart rate being elevated overnight. I wish the doctors could figure out why she has been on this track of having bad days every two or three days. It's frustrating not knowing what is causing it.

I am uncertain of where this road is taking us. And while I am confident that everything will play out in God's timing, I am trying to sway his mind in the direction of speeding things up a bit. I guess it never hurts to try. I will say that this hard journey has been somewhat easier because of the love many of you have shown to our family though this. Thank you to all who have cooked for us, given gifts, and helped Peter and I in replacing what was lost in the break-in. Your kindness and love have been the presence of Christ to us in this hard time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see there is a blog where I can go to read updates. I'm glad there is some good news as far as your mom being able to communicate with nods and so forth, and also showing signs of feeling in a better mood. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

The folks here at Mt. Zion FMC north of Kokomo keep the whole Fish family in prayer at every gathering. We will keep interceeding for you!

- Pastor Russ Veldman

Anonymous said...

I love you Jackie :) I will be reading this as much as I can and am always thinking and praying for your mom & your whole family! love you lots! ~ LISA F. :)