Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Finding Fayth

I had called my sister this morning and her young son answered. I told him we were looking forward to his impending visit, but that we had been unable to put up any Christmas decorations. He assured me that was just fine. But then I realized that the most beautiful Christmas decoration I could see this year is Barbara's smile. It's amazing how something like that can really change the face of an entire day. At risk of telling something too private to share, I can't resist mentioning that after telling her that I loved her at one point yesterday, she mouthed the words, "I love you, too." Jackie saw her do that too and it melted our hearts.

Today, Barbara is having a more challenging day. But you know what I've continually said - she seems to have 2 good days, then one bad. Her heart rate is quite high again, and her blood pressure is low. She is laboring to breathe more, and as of this morning, a bit less responsive. This is why I mentioned in my last post that we're trying to stay on an even keel emotionally - not getting too excited on the good days, and not getting too down on the bad. Or, to put it another way, expecting the best yet prepared for the worst. Don't take that as a bad thing - I truly expect God's magnificent healing to take place. It's just that I've also learned you don't spend this much time in the hospital without becoming a pragmatist (or losing your mind, which ever comes first!).

Speaking of the latter, I must apologize if I got a bit testy at the end of my last post. I have discovered a method of both posting here, and then forwarding it as an email, that seems to work. After all these days here, as well as all this time traversing Merrillville traffic (it's always bad - but this time of year it is horrible), my nerves are frayed. I'm sure most of you are already prepared to extend me extra grace. However, for my own spiritual well-being, I need to apologize for being a bit short with any of you.

Let me end by sharing something very special with you. We have been praying special prayers for Barbara at the start of our worship services on Sunday mornings. Last Sunday, I felt like I was out of words to pray, and asked the Lord to help me think of someone who would be appropriate to lift Barbara's health to the Lord. He gave me the perfect person. It was someone who has been praying regularly for Barbara, even stopping throughout the day to say a prayer for her. It was someone whose prayer I was sure God loved. It was someone who is as sold out to Jesus as she could be. So, I invited this person to come forward. You could hear praises and applause as Fayth (pictured at right) stepped up to the platform. Fayth is about 6 years old. She prayed a beautiful, sweet, eloquent prayer that left tears in many eyes. I am so thankful for people like Fayth, her mommy and daddy who are also precious people, and the many other "family" members God has given me here at GFM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greg--We're sorry for your "challenging day" with Barbara with her heart rate high and blood pressure low and with little responsiveness. However, we're glad you found Fayth to lead your prayer at church. It reminds me of the verse in Isaiah 11:6 where it says: "and a little child shall lead them." Our prayers will be for Barbara's improvement and continuing healing. We also pray for God to give you, Jackie, and others there strength and the wherewithal to coninue to provide Barbara with the support and love needed.--Gene and Marcia