Monday, December 18, 2006

December 4

Barbara is on day 12 on the respirator, and the lung doctor tells us that they don’t like to go past 14 days without going to a tracheotomy (tubes through the neck into the throat, rather than through the mouth). He will be consulting with the surgeon, Dr. Rifai, as to what can be done about the neck brace. Right now they have her in a very complicated looking contraption that includes supports down her chest and straps around her waist. This would not allow for a trach. One nurse suggested that they might have to use a halo (involving multiple pins into the head), but I will press them to find some other means if it comes to that. The trach will be traumatic enough to her – I also recall how upset she was when the prospect of a halo was mentioned early on. The tubes down the throat could remain if worse comes to worse, but there is the fear of permanently damaging her vocal cords. Also, the tube they were forced to put down her throat is much smaller than what they prefer to use. The benefits of the trach would be that it would allow Barbara’s throat to recover and tubes to be removed while sedated. Also, they’ll be able to clean and oxygenate her lungs more efficiently. The down side is that, with the existing injuries from the surgery, it will increase her chance of infection. Either way, she will remain heavily sedated while she is on this “reverse” breathing pattern, since she would naturally fight it if awake. Incidentally, in case you wondered, they tell me the trach will be temporary.

It is good news that she continues to show signs of improvement. The lungs are a bit clearer today. They’ve slowly began programming her bed to move her just a little at a time. And, her respirator is presently at 75% oxygen, which is a 5% improvement. As of this writing, her oxygen levels remain good. Also, her kidneys, while weak, are still functioning.

As for the fact that her lungs are in shock, the lung doctor says it isn’t unusual to take a couple of weeks to see any improvement. She will be in intensive care for quite a time to come barring any unforeseen miraculous happenings!

So, we continue in a good direction. Her vitals are good, and she continues in critical but stable condition. She’s not out of the woods yet, but we remain hopeful. Here’s how you can help us pray today:

That there will be no more setbacks, and that infections will be staved off,

That there will be a good solution to the tracheotomy/brace dilemma,

That her lungs will heal quickly,

That her heart will not fail,

That there will be no long term ill effects of her days of immobility.

Thank you to all who were lifting me in prayer yesterday morning. All went well, and I felt the strength of the Spirit to even a greater degree than I had expected. This whole event with Barbara’s illness has put me into quite a fog (many of you know what that is all about), so pray that I will be able to be sensitive to the needs of my people even at this time when I’m so preoccupied. Pray also that I’ll figure out how to move back into a routine that meets at least some of the demands of ministry will still attending to my wife. Thanks in advance!

Remember Jackie too as she finishes up the semester with a heavy, heavy load on her heart and mind.

Many of you have told me that you anxiously await these updates, and I am grateful for your concern. If, however, I have added you to my list and you’d rather not receive this, just drop me an email and I promise I will not be offended in the least bit.

Aren’t we such blessed people? Even in the tough stuff, we have reason to celebrate anyway.

Greg

No comments: