Monday, December 18, 2006

November 30

Your prayers, calls, emails, cards and visits have overwhelmed me, and I am very grateful. The far-reaching prayer chain that is supporting us is of more value than you’ll ever know. I believe in prayer, but going through this trial has taught me even more about it than I’d ever understood before.

I choose to be optimistic in the fact that there is nothing significantly bad to report. She remains stable, although in critical condition. The nurses here lovingly remind me that things could take a rapid turn in either direction in her condition. So, we are preparing for the worst and praying for the best. Her kidneys continue to function to a degree, so that is good. We’re hoping to avoid dialysis since she doesn’t need anything else to wear her body down. They tell me, though, that she is completely exhausted, and that is another thing making recovery difficult. Also, she continues to be on 100% oxygen from the respirator, and cannot survive without it. Whenever they have to remove it to suction the lines, she crashes very quickly, which is a great concern (duh!). She continues to be mostly sedated, although possibly aware of what is going on (they are giving her a hypnotic drug that helps her forget what is happening, and she is mostly non-responsive at this time. She is still on the respirator, and her pneumonia has neither gotten worse nor better. They have told us that this degree of illness doesn’t happen quickly, and usually doesn’t go away quickly. As for the reason that she is in the hospital in the first place, the neck surgery on her vertebrae, our doctor tells us that things are going very well on that front. They still are asking that we have no visitors in the room, but I am able to stay with her throughout the day. Her mom and my dad are here with me and have been a wonderful support.

Our daughter is getting married in the spring, so I’m determined that Barbara be there and in the best health she’s experienced in recent years. Here’s how you can help me pray today:

That her body is able to rest and fight,

That the pneumonia and all ensuing infections clear quickly,

That her neck will continue to grow stronger,

That her kidneys grow stronger.

I believe she continues to get the best care under her circumstances, and I also know she is in much bigger hands. Where my faith has grown weak at times, you have all been instruments of keeping me strong. Some of you have been through some of the worst stuff life can throw at you, and by your witness, have been a true inspiration.

Thanks again for your prayers.

Greg

No comments: